One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The common swift (bird) of the eastern part of North America, with mainly dark grey plumage.
- ‘The chimney swift is the most widely distributed and plentiful swift in North America, especially east of the Mississippi River.’
- ‘The curtain is drawn until late March when the graceful sky dances and twittering music return as chimney swifts ply the skies in search of food and each other.’
- ‘Look for a tall shaft, chimney or similar structure to locate where chimney swifts go to roost in your area.’
- ‘Thank you for succinctly stating the importance of chimneys needed for chimney swifts to nest.’
- ‘At least one species of swift, chimney swifts are cooperative breeders.’
- ‘For example, the wing loading of a highly maneuverable bird such as the chimney swift is ten times smaller than that of the aeronautically challenged common loon.’
- ‘If you know the location of a chimney swift roost, consider participating in A Swift Night Out.’
- ‘Every fall thousands of migrating chimney swifts funnel into the chimneys at the Bookbinder and Mill Center in Hampden at dusk.’
- ‘The chimney swift is one of four regularly occurring species of swifts found in North America, the most common one found east of the Rockies.’
- ‘Properly maintaining a chimney or fireplace inhabited by chimney swifts eliminates any risk of disease.’
- ‘As with a lot of birds, chimney swift nestlings make a lot of racket when their parents arrive to feed them.’
- ‘Like other birds that spend most of their lives in the air, chimney swifts have high-speed, energy-efficient wings.’
- ‘A chimney swift is sooty gray, about five inches long, and has a one-foot wingspan; the body looks stubby between the long, narrow wings.’
- ‘Before Europeans arrived in North America, chimney swifts nested in the old giant hollow trees of the forest.’
- ‘As their name implies, chimney swifts adapted to man's presence and commonly nest on the inside walls of chimneys.’
- ‘New home builders are recommended to build chimney structures suitable for chimney swift roosting.’
- ‘Basically nondescript, it is easy to understand why chimney swifts are likened to flying cigars.’
- ‘Every evening, with patience, you will glimpse chimney swifts dropping into and launching out of one of our chimneys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.