One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable insulated container for keeping food and drink cool.
- ‘We're talking a sleep-in-the-car, dusty backroad, five-bucks-each for gas, eating whatever's left at the bottom of the chillybin, old-school roadie with your mates.’
- ‘What happens is that everyone rushes for the lunch chillybin and the boom tends to slap around with the yacht kind of hove to.’
- ‘They would probably be packed in dry ice in a specialised, sealed chillybin.’
- ‘Government appointed volunteer fishery inspectors check what you have in your car, boat, and chillybins.’
- ‘We filled a large chillybin 3/4 of the way full with blue cod - they were biting like crazy.’
- ‘The faculty set up with their car rugs, baskets and chillybins in the lee of the last dune before the beach.’
- ‘The only other gear I take is a tackle box, net (sits in one of the rodholders when fishing) and a chillybin.’
- ‘Alex Mayo had heard of chillybin for Esky (a portable box to keep food or drink either cold or hot), and jandals for the footwear Aussies call thongs (which are something else again in U.S.).’
- ‘In their vivid hats and purple shirts, skins reddening, languidly reaching into yellow chillybins, they border every open space like flowers.’
- ‘Individual tissue samples should be transported to the testing laboratory in an insulated pack such as a chillybin.’
- ‘Consider renting a Sleepervan with a mattress and chillybin for the same price as a car.’
- ‘Was made to walk back because some hussey hurt her ankle and there wasn't enough room in the car for me and the chillybins!’
- ‘For those races when one is required Tom Tom has a 7.5 hp Eski (no, not a chillybin) in a well underneath the cockpit floor.’
- ‘We dug up a big chillybin full of wine and cheese and tasty treats and picniced on the band rotunda.’
- ‘Stevenson also superbly captures the essence of what it is to be Kiwi - the hokey-pokey ice-cream, Barry Crump books, portable barbeques and chillybins.’
From a proprietary name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.