One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A portable insulated container for keeping food and drink cool.
- ‘Stevenson also superbly captures the essence of what it is to be Kiwi - the hokey-pokey ice-cream, Barry Crump books, portable barbeques and chillybins.’
- ‘Consider renting a Sleepervan with a mattress and chillybin for the same price as a car.’
- ‘What happens is that everyone rushes for the lunch chillybin and the boom tends to slap around with the yacht kind of hove to.’
- ‘In their vivid hats and purple shirts, skins reddening, languidly reaching into yellow chillybins, they border every open space like flowers.’
- ‘We dug up a big chillybin full of wine and cheese and tasty treats and picniced on the band rotunda.’
- ‘The faculty set up with their car rugs, baskets and chillybins in the lee of the last dune before the beach.’
- ‘Individual tissue samples should be transported to the testing laboratory in an insulated pack such as a chillybin.’
- ‘They would probably be packed in dry ice in a specialised, sealed chillybin.’
- ‘Was made to walk back because some hussey hurt her ankle and there wasn't enough room in the car for me and the chillybins!’
- ‘The only other gear I take is a tackle box, net (sits in one of the rodholders when fishing) and a chillybin.’
- ‘For those races when one is required Tom Tom has a 7.5 hp Eski (no, not a chillybin) in a well underneath the cockpit floor.’
- ‘Alex Mayo had heard of chillybin for Esky (a portable box to keep food or drink either cold or hot), and jandals for the footwear Aussies call thongs (which are something else again in U.S.).’
- ‘Government appointed volunteer fishery inspectors check what you have in your car, boat, and chillybins.’
- ‘We filled a large chillybin 3/4 of the way full with blue cod - they were biting like crazy.’
- ‘We're talking a sleep-in-the-car, dusty backroad, five-bucks-each for gas, eating whatever's left at the bottom of the chillybin, old-school roadie with your mates.’
From a proprietary name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.