Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hot sauce made with tomatoes, chillies, and spices.
- ‘The set up is wrapped and served with tomato or chilli sauce.’
- ‘If you're too timid to try them, stick to more enjoyable Isan favourites such as sticky rice dipped in chilli sauce, green papaya salad with dried shrimp, or skewers of barbecued chicken.’
- ‘Condiments on the table include Sriracha chilli sauce as well as tomato sauce, salt and pepper and Maggi seasoning.’
- ‘Manchester's Babylon kebab house came out second in a bid to find the UK's hottest kebab chilli sauce.’
- ‘It's so bad, that to not completely cover it in chilli sauce or gravy would be mad.’
- ‘Add half the spring onion, the mushrooms, pepper, chilli sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and mushroom water.’
- ‘Place the tofu, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and rice wine in a bowl.’
- ‘In addition there is a New Orleans American style chilli sauce and the ubiquitous tomato ketchup.’
- ‘A former chef was convinced that his girlfriend was served HP sauce with her fishcakes instead of sweet chilli sauce.’
- ‘Top tip - after a day on the slopes when your eyelashes are frozen and your chin is solid, proceed to a kebab shop, order a doner kebab with extra chilli sauce.’
- ‘It came with rice, side salad, chilli sauce and minted yoghurt.’
- ‘You use chilli sauce instead of tomato ketchup.’
- ‘I started off with the Thai fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce, and was very pleasantly surprised.’
- ‘And you would have been able to spice up your main meals with pepper, chilli sauce, Tabasco sauce and/or soya sauce.’
- ‘Relishes - coconut and coriander chutney, sweet chilli sauce - all taste fresh.’
- ‘I'd recommend going for anything of the ‘sambal’ variety - chicken or seafood cooked in a sweet and sour chilli sauce with tomatoes and onions.’
- ‘Vicky was particularly keen on the dim sum, which consisted of the Chinese dumplings, spinach wonton, Peking ravioli and mini-spring roll, served with a spicy soy dip and sweet chilli sauce.’
- ‘The result can be served with hard-boiled eggs, nuts, peas, chilli sauce, etc.’
- ‘Scores are awarded for quality of meat, service, chilli sauce, garlic sauce, salad and value.’
- ‘To make the chilli jam, sweat off the chilli and ginger in a heavy based pan and add chilli sauce and ketchup.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.