Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hot-tasting spice made from ground dried red chillies, sometimes with other spices.
- ‘The flavor profile became more obviously Southwestern with the addition of cilantro, cumin, and chili powder.’
- ‘Choubritsa is a powdered mixture of dried winter savory, cumin, fenugreek, salt, pepper, and occasionally chilli powder.’
- ‘No need for any seasoning in my opinion, but adjust to your own taste with salt, pepper, chili powder…’
- ‘Indian food is prepared with a variety of spices, including cumin, turmeric, chili powder, ginger, and garlic.’
- ‘For a milder flavour replace chilli powder with ground paprika.’
- ‘Shichimi is a spice blend that contains sesame seeds, dried seaweed, dried tangerine peel, chili powder and poppy seeds.’
- ‘Plus, Dan coats the chicken with a terrific rub that features cumin, brown sugar, chili powder and other flavors.’
- ‘He went back for the very hot and spicy marinated chicken and opted for quite different oils and sauces - hot chilli, jalapenos and Cajun chilli powder.’
- ‘Let's see there's cumin, and chili powder, and cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes, and salt.’
- ‘Next, place the stockpot over low heat and add canned tomatoes, tomatoes with their liquid, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, fennel and parsley.’
- ‘Its flavor is rounded out with pomegranate seeds, dried mango peel, black peppercorns, toasted cumin, coriander, red chili powder and white pepper.’
- ‘Add the ground masala, chilli powder and garam masala powder, and fry till it is well roasted and the oil separates.’
- ‘Liking our food a little spicier, we increased the amount of garlic, chili powder, and cumin.’
- ‘Most barbecue sauces are tomato-based and encompass a myriad of spices such as chili powder, paprika, and cumin.’
- ‘Basil, oregano, parsley, red pepper and chili powder are all great ways to flavor a dish without adding calories, carbs or fat.’
- ‘Johanna came round and for a change I cooked for her, a nice curry, having found garam masala and chilli powder in the local supermarket.’
- ‘In a small bowl, combine sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, chilli powder and garlic.’
- ‘Add the chopped green chillies, red chilli powder, garam masala and ground ginger, and mash together.’
- ‘Add the cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and coffee and cook until aromatic.’
- ‘If you like your chocolate in a more condensed form, the pastry chef, Alex Asteinza, has constructed a round little ganache spiced with chili powder and a sweet sauce made from burnt oranges.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.