One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stew of minced beef and beans flavoured with chillies or chilli powder.
- ‘When I cook, it's usually spaghetti, chili con carne, tacos or corn chip casserole.’
- ‘It makes a good partner with strong flavours and substantial textures such as chilli con carne, chicken livers, wild boar and even barbecue sauce.’
- ‘We noted chilli con carne, beef lasagne and Cornish pasties among the hot dishes.’
- ‘In N. America, ‘chile powder’ - also known as ‘Mexican’ or ‘Creole’ chile powder - is a spice mixture for making chili con carne, containing cumin, clove, and garlic powder as well as hot pepper.’
- ‘Australia's rich, frothy, berry-sweet mouthwash will happily chase away a furious curry or chili con carne.’
- ‘These are followed by salads, pastas, Mexican items including nachos, tacos, enchiladas and chili con carne and fajitas (chicken or beef, B.275-325).’
- ‘This is not your purist Texan no-tomato, no-bean chilli con carne, but a more domesticated, family-friendly old favourite for easy mid-week dining.’
- ‘Typical products affected by the alert are shepherd's pies, pasta bakes, cottage pies, chicken wings, sausage casseroles, pizzas, steak and kidney pies and chilli con carne.’
- ‘That book, The Cuisines of Mexico, became a best-seller and taught a generation of Americans that Mexican food meant more than tacos, nachos and chilli con carne.’
- ‘Other main courses included chilli con carne, lasagne, chicken enchiladas and there was even a nod in the direction of healthy eating with some salmon steak.’
- ‘They described the chilli con carne with tortilla chips as being ‘hearty meals’ - filling, and a great improvement on the starters.’
- ‘My mum always cooked me chilli con carne and curry.’
- ‘Roast beef, fried chicken, chili con carne, chicken adobo: All are common menu items.’
- ‘I left the buffet with a plate overflowing with potato salad and chili con carne, and the hamburger sitting on top.’
- ‘She reckons about 50 per cent of what they produce is homemade - minced lamb hotpot, chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, that kind of stuff - plus a mean chicken pie.’
- ‘Father Damian (our Catholic chaplain) very kindly cooked the dinner, consisting of chilli con carne or vegetable curry, followed by cake - on his birthday!’
- ‘Into the mains and there is a choice of Cumberland sausage, beef stew, beef stroganoff, spaghetti Bolognese, chilli con carne, Chinese style spare ribs and a chicken curry.’
- ‘I find it enhances and extends a good chilli con carne when served wrapped in burritos.’
- ‘He tells us about the Cowboy culture and chili con carne and the San Antonio Chili’
- ‘There have been dozens of warnings and recalls in recent years due to the substance finding its way into anything from pesto to chilli con carne.’
From Spanish chile con carne, literally ‘chilli pepper with meat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.