Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive Intended to induce or enhance a relaxed mood, in particular an area in a nightclub where quiet or ambient music is played.
- ‘Refurbishment is underway to create the chill-out area where customers will be able to eat and drink in a relaxed environment.’
- ‘So, in theory, you can ‘get down’ to Barry White in your chill-out room without getting tangled up in wires and leads.’
- ‘So imagine my reaction when a new techno chill-out ambient album, promising ‘peace, love and spaced out infinity sounds’ landed on my desk.’
- ‘Snoop's brooding vocals provide some delicate tension on these horny soul and R&B-rounded tracks that are textbook chill-out hip-hop at its best.’
- ‘Setting the template for every retro-futuristic chill-out album that's appeared since, so the argument went, Air had perfected a style.’
- ‘The series is the brainchild of Austin Wilde, also responsible for the chill-out and hip-hop compilation series Another Late Night and Badmeaningood.’
- ‘The sound itself lies somewhere between early-doors Air, dark-edged Zero 7 and a whole ghettoload of hip-hop, trip-hop and chill-out.’
- ‘If you're into ambient, chill-out, trip-hop, electro-dub or downbeat, this album is for you.’
- ‘In fact, it almost seems that Zero 7 have come out of nowhere to give us an album that's going to stand the test of time as a classic of down-tempo chill-out grooves.’
- ‘After one too many chill-out compilations featuring remixes of Dido songs, downtempo seemed destined to die a quick death.’
- ‘There were four main areas - an eclectic dance area, a hard house area, a chill-out room and a dungeon.’
- ‘‘Let It Come Down’ begins with the almost feel-good, chill-out rock stomper ‘On Fire’.’
- ‘The creepy keyboard and vocals give way to a jazzy chill-out beat at about the 2: 15 mark.’
- ‘And it is a frequently surprising collection of records, all of which incorporate African rhythms, instruments and lyrics, into a broad spectrum of chill-out influences.’
- ‘The score is a fantastic piece of downtempo electronic chill-out that sets the tone absolutely perfectly.’
- ‘Here's another spacey, chill-out electronic album that features a DJ / producer and a sweet-sounding female vocalist.’
- ‘Such vagaries are too often the curse of modern chill-out music.’
- ‘Make The Face combines elements of lowdown sex, dirty funk and electropop with hints of hip-hop and chill-out, providing an excellent soundtrack to life in the bustling metropolis of 2004.’
- ‘Two years on, with the chill-out scene in full swing, Alpinestars return with a much more upfront and upbeat record.’
- ‘But unlike chill-out discs that serve mainly as sedate background ambience, Lost Horizons is a trip's prelude that opens the gates to enchantment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.