One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rapidly solidify (cast iron or other metal) by contact with a cooled metal mould or other cold surface in order to produce a hard, dense surface.‘the first metal flowing on to the cold plate is virtually chill-cast’‘a thin layer of chill-cast crystals’
- ‘An inclined chill-casting shown in Fig.1 has been cast for verifying the developed model.’
- ‘This was discovered during an early investigation of the strength and hardness of ternary alloys containing up to 43% Cd and 14% Sb using chill-cast specimens.’
- ‘For example, our pan floor tiles are made from chill-cast nickel chromium steel ensuring a long trouble free life with hard aggregate and a lifetime's use with soft aggregate and limestone.’
- ‘The PIAD process employs chill-casting techniques and a specialty-steel mold to produce precision castings made from copper and copper-base alloys.’
- ‘A chill-cast gun-metal will therefore be very different in structure and properties from one which has been annealed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.