Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rapidly solidify (cast iron or other metal) by contact with a cooled metal mould or other cold surface in order to produce a hard, dense surface.‘the first metal flowing on to the cold plate is virtually chill-cast’‘a thin layer of chill-cast crystals’
- ‘The PIAD process employs chill-casting techniques and a specialty-steel mold to produce precision castings made from copper and copper-base alloys.’
- ‘This was discovered during an early investigation of the strength and hardness of ternary alloys containing up to 43% Cd and 14% Sb using chill-cast specimens.’
- ‘For example, our pan floor tiles are made from chill-cast nickel chromium steel ensuring a long trouble free life with hard aggregate and a lifetime's use with soft aggregate and limestone.’
- ‘An inclined chill-casting shown in Fig.1 has been cast for verifying the developed model.’
- ‘A chill-cast gun-metal will therefore be very different in structure and properties from one which has been annealed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.