One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rapidly solidify (cast iron or other metal) by contact with a cooled metal mould or other cold surface in order to produce a hard, dense surface.‘the first metal flowing on to the cold plate is virtually chill-cast’‘a thin layer of chill-cast crystals’
- ‘A chill-cast gun-metal will therefore be very different in structure and properties from one which has been annealed.’
- ‘This was discovered during an early investigation of the strength and hardness of ternary alloys containing up to 43% Cd and 14% Sb using chill-cast specimens.’
- ‘For example, our pan floor tiles are made from chill-cast nickel chromium steel ensuring a long trouble free life with hard aggregate and a lifetime's use with soft aggregate and limestone.’
- ‘An inclined chill-casting shown in Fig.1 has been cast for verifying the developed model.’
- ‘The PIAD process employs chill-casting techniques and a specialty-steel mold to produce precision castings made from copper and copper-base alloys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.