One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of furniture with drawers on one side and hanging space on the other.
- ‘Some chifforobes combine drawers and shelving, so that some items are on display while others are put away.’
- ‘This has nothing to do with chifforobes, but since you mention Winston-Salem, I have to ask: are you familiar with the Moravian community there?’
- ‘This chifforobe, which is now in my youngest son's bedroom, belonged to my mother when she was a little girl.’
- ‘Stylish storage for clothing and more, this colorful chifforobe includes drawers, shelves and a wardrobe cabinet.’
- ‘Their huge truck was loaded with blankets for wrapping my old chifforobes and dressers and chairs.’
- ‘Their wall beds are encased in solid wood frames, similar in appearance to the chifforobes of days gone by.’
- ‘The night stands, wardrobes, armoires, chifforobes, and dressers feature brass-finish hardware which accents the warm, classic cherry finish.’
- ‘At my wife's insistence and at great effort I have manhandled our chifforobe down to the truck from our third floor walk up, loaded it into our pick-up and driven it here to the civic auditorium.’
- ‘Constructed out of solid hardwood, and finished with a catalyst finish, each chifforobe entertainment center promises to give you a lifetime of satisfaction and enjoyment!’
- ‘The same brass candle cylinders and Venetian chifforobes are arranged in unswept rooms where wallpaper has been stripped and never replaced and where wooden floors remain unfinished.’
- ‘White laminated chifforobes (combination dresser/wardrobe) and four-drawer dressers may tip over if heavy objects are placed on top or children climb onto units.’
- ‘Since I left the White House, I've made about 150 pieces of furniture - tables, chairs, beds, chifforobes, things of that kind.’
Early 20th century: blend of chiffonier and wardrobe.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.