One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A police officer ranking above inspector and below superintendent.
- ‘We asked the Treasury Solicitor to take charge of the inquiry in conjunction with a senior police officer of at least the rank of chief inspector.’
- ‘The chief inspector told the magistrates that the pubs in the district were well run with no ‘problem premises’.’
- ‘Until one very recent promotion to superintendent there were also no women above chief inspector rank, they said.’
- ‘This meeting will inform a later submission from the chief inspector to the relevant minister on what action should be taken to improve services within the council in a timely way.’
- ‘That's £100,000 for the sake of a few eggs: or the annual salary of five more police constables, four more sergeants or two more chief inspectors.’
- ‘Sharon and I both belong to the Association of Senior Women Officers and it is really good to see the number of chief inspectors and detective chief inspectors coming through at a younger period.’
- ‘She is returning to the city centre, where she worked as a chief inspector before transferring to Merseyside as a superintendent.’
- ‘I spent, I think, four weeks on a sergeant's course, a couple of weeks on an inspector's course and nothing on a chief inspector's course.’
- ‘The role of the chief inspector in the criminal justice unit will be replaced by a civilian manager.’
- ‘A total of 1,457 inspectors, 391 chief inspectors and 629 superintendents were questioned in the survey.’
- ‘Soon after he became an inspector and worked with the motorway unit and then a chief inspector of traffic operations at the force's Hutton headquarters.’
- ‘It is suggested that a public meeting on the issue will take place sometime and also the police chief inspector will be invited to voice his opinion.’
- ‘The South Yorkshire Police vetting unit is made up of a chief inspector, another officer and three civilians who are overseen by a superintendent.’
- ‘We are talking about grass roots; we are talking about PCs, sergeants, inspectors and chief inspectors.’
- ‘You are a sergeant, you are an inspector, a chief inspector, superintendent.’
- ‘It is not the job of the chief inspector to tell the administration what the administration wants to hear.’
- ‘We have representatives - I think they are chief inspectors - from the two police stations involved.’
- ‘The probation service has not been in good shape, as the criticisms of the quality of its work by successive chief inspectors demonstrate.’
- ‘The chief inspector said police would need the help of other agencies and the public in doing this.’
- ‘A former police chief inspector accused of thefts totalling £20,000 has denied the offences and is to go on trial at Crown Court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.