Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A small, widespread, white-flowered plant of the pink family, often growing as a garden weed, and sometimes eaten by poultry.
- ‘It is especially effective on crabgrass, goosegrass, and chickweed.’
- ‘Again, this is a place to include uncultivated herbs such as dandelion, chicory, chickweed, malva, watercress, nettles and mustard greens.’
- ‘In the spring, the pheasant mamas will bring their chicks to picnic on the chickweed.’
- ‘The targeted pests were chickweed, prickly lettuce, and root-knot nematode.’
- ‘Many winter annual weeds, including common chickweed, purple deadnettle, henbit, and cressleaf groundsel, have become increasingly problematic in corn, soybean, and wheat production.’
- ‘She continued hoeing out the chickweed and dandelions.’
- ‘This field had been fallow the previous year, and it was already blanketed with wild mustard, violets, chickweed, and wild parsnip.’
- ‘Some weeds, such as chickweed, common groundsel, and bittercress, may germinate and grow at almost any time of year.’
- ‘Chickweed oil which is a good lotion for skin ailments is made by placing an ounce of dried chickweed in olive oil.’
- ‘Those edible ‘weeds’ include chickweed, lambs quarters and stinging nettles.’
- ‘Fast-growing fall cover crops outcompete late-season weeds like quack grass and chickweed.’
- ‘I once took my boys to a park that had a little pond covered in chickweed.’
- ‘When the chickweed is seeding, they go after those seeds first.’
- ‘On the opposite extreme, shallow-rooted ground cover weeds such as ground ivy and chickweed help prevent erosion and prevent soil crusting when dry.’
- ‘A very good fasting tea is a combination of nettles, chickweed and fennel seed which also helps in weight reduction.’
- ‘Toss together chickweed with lemon juice and grapeseed oil.’
- ‘Researchers report that controlling weeds such as purple deadnettle, henbit and chickweed may help keep SCN numbers down.’
- ‘Drizzle vinaigrette around the dish and garnish with chickweed.’
- ‘Perennial geraniums live forever, are easy to grow from seed and once established, spread and self-seed as madly as chickweed.’
- ‘Whether or not it is so, it is still funny that out of all things they prefer chickweed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.