One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for grass pea
- ‘The chickling pea is cultivated for its edible seed in India and the Middle East, but see notes above on toxicity.’
- ‘The chickling pea is unfortunately often confused with the edible and widely used chickpea.’
- ‘An especially hardy plant, the chickling pea historically has served as an inexpensive survival food for the poor of certain developing countries.’
- ‘It is chickling pea, not chickpea.’
- ‘For example, the neurological disorder lathyrism (paralysis of the lower limbs) is caused by eating chickling peas that contain a potent neurotoxic amino acid.’
Mid 16th century: based on obsolete chich ‘chickpea’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.