One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Light wire netting with a hexagonal mesh.
- ‘The only sure-fire way to protect tulips and crocuses and other tasty bulb treats from squirrels is to lay wire mesh such as chicken wire on top of the bed.’
- ‘Structurally, graphite consists of sheets of carbon atoms linked hexagonally like chicken wire.’
- ‘Sandwich the lights between a second layer of chicken wire and secure the layers with cable ties.’
- ‘As you work, you can reinforce the shape by using chicken wire - the regular old chicken wire you find at a hardware or farm supply store.’
- ‘To prevent deer from damaging young trees and shrubs, surround them with wire cages made from chicken wire or hardware mesh.’
- ‘A bit of chicken wire and plastic mesh lend bulk but not mass.’
- ‘Floral art is now significantly more sophisticated, involving everything from pine, to bark, to wooden structures and chicken wire.’
- ‘Bitter experience leads me to suggest covering the newly planted containers with chicken wire to prevent squirrels from digging the whole lot up again.’
- ‘To keep those leaves from blowing away, he puts down a layer of chicken wire on top of the entire bed and stakes the wire down.’
- ‘If rats still prove a problem, you can use chicken wire to keep them at bay.’
- ‘These cylinders, measuring but a nanometer or so in diameter, display a surface of hexagonal carbon rings that give the material the appearance of a honeycomb or chicken wire.’
- ‘They've also covered the lower rungs of a barrier with chicken wire to stop youngsters climbing up on it and falling into the track.’
- ‘Some people use chicken wire or fly wire screen.’
- ‘The homes of the poorest are built of flimsy materials: bamboo, cardboard, chicken wire, newspaper, tin cans, boards and other scavenged materials.’
- ‘It's a handmade crawfish trap - a large tube fashioned from chicken wire.’
- ‘They surrounded the town with chicken wire and you can't even see it now.’
- ‘For those who insist on leaving their cats on elevated balconies, she recommends chicken wire to prevent cats climbing onto ledges.’
- ‘What is the correct method of disposal for rusty chicken wire?’
- ‘She said material similar to chicken wire mesh would be temporarily laid on some sections of the bank of the River Foss.’
- ‘The structure has thick walls of snow and ice, reinforced with wooden arches, metal bands, chicken wire and refrigeration lines.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.