Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Literature which appeals to young women.
- ‘In a lot of chick lit, depicting women slightly older than me, the sexual maturity is that of a nine-year-old.’
- ‘Its dark content and fast tempo steer it away from the sickly sweet clichés of chick lit, yet it provides brief and self-indulgent escapism, infusing Hollywood glamour with an edgy cynicism.’
- ‘While they follow the trend of most best-selling chick lit, there's something stronger about these characters than their Anglo counterparts.’
- ‘The women in non-fiction chick lit possess all the cartoonish and exaggerated qualities of chick-lit heroines, and none of the complexity of real women.’
- ‘The number of new chick lit titles a year rocking out of bookstores suggests that escapist girly action is the women's self-help health group of the 21st century.’
- ‘They assume guys are their market for thrillers and that only girls read chick lit (well, maybe they're right about the latter, but certainly not the former).’
- ‘To write it off as chick lit would be a betrayal of its content.’
- ‘She knows what she likes and she knows how to find it, and the whole debate over what constitutes chick lit and whether any of it's any good does not matter to her at all.’
- ‘I have never read so much chick lit as I have in the last few months.’
- ‘I sighed and stared down at the books, ‘You bought me chick lit.’’
- ‘Rachel is becoming a rebel who increasingly sounds like a voice from the slush pile of chick lit, moaning about the passing of her childbearing years.’
- ‘Yes, I'm the demographic for the onslaught of chick lit.’
- ‘I'm so glad I haven't been aligned with chick lit.’
- ‘In commercial fiction the glossy twenty-something characters of chick lit are being joined by more realistic middle-aged heroines whose experiences of life and love are often more complicated and affecting.’
- ‘But she says that chick lit is ‘entirely apolitical,’ and I disagree.’
- ‘‘To me, romantic fiction - chick lit - goes back to Jane Austen,’ she says.’
- ‘In other words, if you notice that chick lit is highly commercial this year, and then sit down to write one, it might well take you a year.’
- ‘But that apparently isn't the case when it comes to chick lit.’
- ‘Her main character loves designer clothes and jewelry, as the title suggests, but Kennedy sets the novel in the world of hip-hop, and it has a far grittier feel than your usual pink-covered chick lit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.