Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The twenty-second letter of the Greek alphabet (Χ, χ), transliterated as ‘kh’ or ‘ch’.
- ‘An X-like character in the Greek alphabet is called chi (pronounced kee).’
- ‘It is possible that the substitution of ‘ck’ with ‘x’ is a linguistic nod to the Greek letter chi.’
- ‘He had a dream in which he saw the chi and the rho, the first two Greek letters of Jesus' name, saying ‘In this sign, conquer’, and so he had that emblazoned on a banner he went out the next day under the name of the crucified.’
- ‘This use of h was first established in Latin, which used ch, ph, and th for the Greek letters chi, phi, and theta.’
- 1.1Astronomy [followed by Latin genitive]The twenty-second star in a constellation.‘Chi Ophiuchi’
[mass noun] The circulating life force whose existence and properties are the basis of much Chinese philosophy and medicine.
- ‘Historically, major medical systems have always reflected social ideologies, from shamanism's intercession with the spirit world to traditional Chinese medicine's harmonious balancing of chi.’
- ‘Different traditions call this energy by different names, such as chi, prana and life force.’
- ‘According to the Daoist view, we produce our energy through breathing in chi from the air - if we don't breathe fully our energy will be diminished.’
- ‘There is chi throughout you, circulating in your structure, whether you want it or not.’
- ‘By my sixth year I learned how to control my bodies natural power, chi, life force, whatever one wishes to call it.’
- ‘Ideally, chi should circulate around the mattress where children sleep encouraging good health’
- ‘It's considered to be spiritual and purifying energy along the lines of Japanese ki or the Chinese concept of chi.’
- ‘Chiropractic seems like a materialistic version of Chinese acupuncture used to unblock chi, or therapeutic touch to channel prana.’
- ‘When we are cold our system contracts - blood and chi do not circulate and we become very quickly fatigued.’
- ‘The flower remedies work on a mind-body level, centering around life force energy (known as chi or prana in Eastern medicines).’
- ‘The first step is space clearance - according to Zen principles, clutter is an accumulation of anything that impedes the vital flow of chi, or essential energy, in the home.’
- ‘These methods purportedly activate prana or chi, the presumed life force that sustains our health.’
- ‘Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medical technique for unblocking chi (ch'i or qi) by inserting needles at particular points on the body to balance the opposing forces of yin and yang.’
- ‘Throughout history, cultures have acknowledged the existence of a subtle life-force energy, or chi, underlying and connecting all material existence.’
- ‘They would now be able to understand such things as acupuncture, chi, orgone energy, telepathy, etc., as well as diagnose and cure whatever ails us.’
- ‘In China, before construction begins on any new buildings, a Feng Shui expert will be consulted to ensure that all chi will be allowed to flow freely.’
- ‘You probably need to move a few things around to get the bedroom chi flowing properly.’
- ‘They are as likely to identify the energy with auras, chi, or orgone as with anything physical.’
- ‘The beauty benefits are a side effect, as the real benefit lies in the development of chi (life force), which, when flowing strongly, brings health to the vital organs and is even thought to induce a state of enlightenment.’
- ‘As a metaphysical belief there is no way to disprove the existence of chi.’
From Chinese qì, literally air, breath.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.