Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A piece of furniture used for storage, consisting of an upright frame into which drawers are fitted.
- ‘A desk, a bed, a chest of drawers, and an old black piano were the only things the room.’
- ‘There is also a pretty marble fireplace with an ornate tiled inset, a built-in cherrywood bookcase and a matching chest of drawers.’
- ‘The walls were covered with tranquil, light wallpaper and there was a single cupboard and a chest of drawers by the side of the room.’
- ‘It wasn't very big, just enough room for his bed, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers and a desk.’
- ‘Four items stood along one wall: two tall chests of drawers, an antique wardrobe, and a steamer trunk, its lid propped open with a block of wood.’
- ‘It had a four-poster bed, a leather upholstered chair, and a chest of drawers with a large vanity mirror.’
- ‘Some of his first pieces include a chest of drawers, a double dresser and some pedestals.’
- ‘During the second half of the eighteenth century, the ubiquitous storage trunks began to be replaced by wardrobes and chests of drawers.’
- ‘All those thin cotton clothes have already made their way back into deeper recesses of wardrobes or chests of drawers.’
- ‘It has recently been fitted with a range of mahogany storage units over and around the bed, as well as a second wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
- ‘On the wall opposite the bed and next to the door was her wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
- ‘She looked around the room and was surprised to see a simple bed, chest of drawers, and an open small closet.’
- ‘Small and rectangular, the chamber housed a mahogany bed, chest of drawers, washbasin and vanity.’
- ‘Inside, he quickly opened the big wicker chest of drawers to find a garment.’
- ‘While there is no built-in storage other than a set of open shelves, there is plenty of room for a wardrobe and chest of drawers.’
- ‘Both have extensive wardrobes, chests of drawers and dressing tables.’
- ‘We had already started a fire, cleaned the stone floor and took off large pieces of cloth, which had covered a chest of drawers and a bed frame.’
- ‘There is another double bedroom at the rear of the house with a range of fitted wardrobes and a chest of drawers.’
- ‘There was a delicately made chest of drawers and a vanity table.’
- ‘It was a nice room, very similar to mine, with a bed, a small table, and a chest of drawers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.