One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A square board divided into sixty-four alternating dark and light squares (conventionally called ‘black’ and ‘white’), used for playing chess or draughts (checkers).
- ‘Also, it's the number of squares on the chessboard.’
- ‘Just get away from the chessboard and any thoughts bringing you back to it, at least until your renewal is complete and you simply must play chess.’
- ‘Place the Queen on a chessboard and pass her over the entire sixty-four squares and back again to the point of beginning in fourteen moves.’
- ‘The rows are set so that anyone traversing them will have a much smoother run moving in straight lines, like a castle on a chessboard.’
- ‘He's no doubt sitting in a room somewhere, still with his pocket chessboard, going through chess games.’
- ‘Inside it was a large chessboard with multiple chess figures shaped like humans.’
- ‘Of all the pieces on a chessboard, the Knight is the most feared among beginners.’
- ‘What more can one do than point to a chessboard and explain the rules of the game, perhaps paying particular attention to the black king as one does so?’
- ‘The playground is now a more pleasant and interesting place for the children with grid games, such as hopscotch, jigsaws, target games and three chessboards with draught pieces.’
- ‘Remember that even though your fantasy players seem like pawns on a chessboard, the game is played on the field.’
- ‘Orders for games included 48 chessboards and chessmen, 12 sets of fox and geese, 6 sets of jackstraws, 9 boxes of ninepins, and 3 sets of German tactics.’
- ‘Great players have their own way of injecting life into any situation on the chessboard.’
- ‘Ally's favorite photograph of the night was one of a chessboard that was perfectly set up, save for two pawns that had fallen over.’
- ‘The stereotypical embodiment of such games is the classic chessboard, in all its variations.’
- ‘The pieces on the chessboard get removed, not the chess players.’
- ‘He sat in the dark living room, doing nothing but staring at the chessboard on the coffee table.’
- ‘‘Board vision’ is the specialized ability to recognize what is happening on the chessboard.’
- ‘His king offered him a reward, but instead of gold he asked for one grain of rice doubled for each successive square on a chessboard.’
- ‘The chessboard was still sitting there from last night, the game left unfinished.’
- ‘One can teach the strategy of chess while the other facilitates creating the chessboard and pieces.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.