Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A visible trail left in the sky by an aircraft and believed by some to consist of chemical or biological agents released as part of a covert operation, rather than the condensed water of a vapour trail.‘conspiracy theorists have been going wild with speculation over the nature and purpose of chemtrails’
- ‘I have one in my book of an MV-80 airliner and it sure looks like a chemtrail behind that airplane.’
- ‘These are not the greatest quality however they show in my mind the differences between a contrail and a chemtrail.’
- ‘It's been real cold lately, and I blame the chemtrails for that.’
- ‘Friday, I enjoyed with an almost melancholy nostalgia because the skies were a deep blue with not a cloud or chemtrail in sight.’
- ‘I was just off the freeway and saw the same dark shadow line formed off a fresh chemtrail being laid going west to east.’
- ‘Another answer is that the so-called chemtrails are actually just normal condensation trails.’
- ‘The volume and size of the spray is virtually the same as that seen from an aircraft pumping out a normal chemtrail, but within about 20-30 aircraft lengths it has virtually all vaporized.’
- ‘Then on 25 Jan 2004 I photographed another fresh chemtrail.’
- ‘We've had a daily barrage of chemtrails since June 1999.’
- ‘I also noted that the chemtrail had spread out in the classic manner.’
- ‘Shortly thereafter, the second plane reached the same perimeter and started discharging its chemtrail.’
- ‘This plane was leaving a chemtrail that went from horizon to horizon and was apparently doing so from underneath the body as well as the entire wings.’
- ‘This site has all the info you could ever possibly want on these "chemtrails."’
- ‘I was shocked that such a blatant chemtrail was being depicted as a cloud on TV.’
- ‘The witness reports, "I was outside, camcorder in hand, filming the chemtrails."’
- ‘For the benefit of those who cannot tell chemtrails from contrails, he offered the following explanation.’
- ‘Specifics are not known at the time, but floating rods and chemtrails are probably involved.’
1990s: blend of chemical and trail, on the pattern of contrail.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.