Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A visible trail left in the sky by an aircraft and believed by some to consist of chemical or biological agents released as part of a covert operation, rather than the condensed water of a vapour trail.‘conspiracy theorists have been going wild with speculation over the nature and purpose of chemtrails’
- ‘I have one in my book of an MV-80 airliner and it sure looks like a chemtrail behind that airplane.’
- ‘I also noted that the chemtrail had spread out in the classic manner.’
- ‘These are not the greatest quality however they show in my mind the differences between a contrail and a chemtrail.’
- ‘We've had a daily barrage of chemtrails since June 1999.’
- ‘Another answer is that the so-called chemtrails are actually just normal condensation trails.’
- ‘For the benefit of those who cannot tell chemtrails from contrails, he offered the following explanation.’
- ‘I was just off the freeway and saw the same dark shadow line formed off a fresh chemtrail being laid going west to east.’
- ‘It's been real cold lately, and I blame the chemtrails for that.’
- ‘The volume and size of the spray is virtually the same as that seen from an aircraft pumping out a normal chemtrail, but within about 20-30 aircraft lengths it has virtually all vaporized.’
- ‘I was shocked that such a blatant chemtrail was being depicted as a cloud on TV.’
- ‘This plane was leaving a chemtrail that went from horizon to horizon and was apparently doing so from underneath the body as well as the entire wings.’
- ‘The witness reports, "I was outside, camcorder in hand, filming the chemtrails."’
- ‘Shortly thereafter, the second plane reached the same perimeter and started discharging its chemtrail.’
- ‘Friday, I enjoyed with an almost melancholy nostalgia because the skies were a deep blue with not a cloud or chemtrail in sight.’
- ‘This site has all the info you could ever possibly want on these "chemtrails."’
- ‘Then on 25 Jan 2004 I photographed another fresh chemtrail.’
- ‘Specifics are not known at the time, but floating rods and chemtrails are probably involved.’
1990s: blend of chemical and trail, on the pattern of contrail.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.