One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system in which the chemical composition is kept at a controlled level, especially for the culture of microorganisms.
- ‘However, even bacteria confined to chemostats can subvert our plans for them, inventing new niches instead of refining methods for exploiting those we had defined.’
- ‘Temperature is controlled by immersing the chemostat growth chamber in a 37° water bath.’
- ‘Imagine a chemostat inoculated with a single clone.’
- ‘In some respects our study mirrors results from earlier studies of chemostats and other protocols of high-density passage with microbes.’
- ‘For example, one such bottleneck may occur during reinoculation of a chemostat, when tubes are changed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.