Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance which attracts motile cells of a particular type.
- ‘These activated cells release chemoattractants and growth factors that result in cellular proliferation and granuloma formation.’
- ‘Both C3a and C5a are also known chemoattractants for inflammatory cells.’
- ‘This fungus has just two mating types and pheromones are secreted to act as chemoattractants for identifying compatible mating partners.’
- ‘Netrins are chemoattractants for commissural axons in the vertebral spinal cord.’
- ‘The release of the chemoattractant IL - 8 by isolated cells may help explain the neutrophil infiltration that occurs later during VILI.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.