One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large four-wheel drive vehicle used mainly in urban areas.
- ‘These absurd vehicles are all the rage these days and often attract the disapproving label of Chelsea tractor.’
- ‘A little-used Chelsea tractor has less effect on the environment than a heavily used smaller vehicle.’
- ‘I could see what she meant, as the Mitsubishi Outlander does not, at first glance, scream chunky Chelsea tractor.’
- ‘The 8-a-day congestion charge in London is to rise to 25 for cars such as 4x4s - "Chelsea tractors" - that emit high levels of carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Promoting it sometimes seems like trying to sell Chelsea tractors at the Greens' annual gathering.’
- ‘He now ferries southerners to Little Chelsea, as it is called, on Deeside, "where they can really use their Chelsea tractors, rather than driving to Harrods".’
- ‘Now it's tarmac, as smooth as a Chelsea tractor might require.’
- ‘Britain has followed the same dismal pattern, with Chelsea tractors making up one in seven of all automobiles sold in London.’
- ‘There are a few tricks BMW has missed with its new Chelsea tractor.’
- ‘"It's great, isn't it," said John, a green-grocer taking a break from serving the well-to-do customers taking his wares home in their Chelsea tractors.’
- ‘Nobody needs to damage the environment by driving a gas-guzzling Chelsea tractor in central London.’
- ‘It's grown into a fully-fledged Chelsea tractor, in other words, but with less emphasis on the tractor, and a little more on the Chelsea.’
- ‘Personally, I would love to pack up my children and move them and our Chelsea tractor to the other side of the M25.’
- ‘"Drivers of big cars and Chelsea tractors have got off lightly."’
- ‘If you absolutely hate driving you'll probably like the idea of a Chelsea tractor.’
- ‘A tale of two cities: while Paris considers a ban on SUVs, London finds a different way of dealing with the "Chelsea tractors."’
- ‘That includes many "Chelsea tractors" and hundreds of ordinary family estates, although some 4x4s with low emissions will escape.’
- ‘This is not an off-roader that will go head to head with the overdeveloped ego of a Chelsea tractor.’
- ‘Forget Chelsea tractors, think combine harvesters.’
- ‘Everyone, apparently, is getting fed up with mums in their Chelsea tractors, taking up too much space and generally bashing into everything.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.