One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An elastic-sided boot, typically with a high heel.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘For men, the leather soled Chelsea boot zip-up or pull-on is the boot to have.’
- ‘Men wore Panama hats and Italian spats, American suits and Chelsea boots, Oxford bags and Texan ties.’
- ‘In other news, I have bought some black Chelsea boots.’
- ‘So before people throw out their Chelsea boots they should come down and be part of the revival.’
- ‘Women, brace yourselves for stacked heels, and men, the Chelsea boot looks best with a pair of low-rise dirty denim jeans.’
- ‘Trim and healthy looking, he is dressed in an open-necked check shirt and Chelsea boots.’
- ‘Last Thursday night, mullets, frilly blouses, baggy pants, pointy suede Chelsea boots, blue mascara and shoulder pads were all the rage at the Point.’
- ‘Other accessories include beards and sideburns (confirming that hairy faces are back) and for your feet there's desert boots, brogues and Chelsea boots for extra comfy rambling.’
- ‘We were on a plane, it was dark and he had taken off the Chelsea boots he always wore.’
- ‘I had treated myself to a new pair of Chelsea boots, the type with wooden soles and top notch leather.’
- ‘Originally a part of English riding attire, the Chelsea boots became a 60s must-have fashion accessory in 1961.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.