Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A kind of rich sweet tart made with cream and soft cheese on a biscuit base.
- ‘When cooked, the cheesecake should be well risen, with a golden-brown top.’
- ‘Last year I experimented and made an orange-chocolate cheese tart and a ricotta cheesecake.’
- ‘If you make more than 2 cheesecakes, ingredient amounts change slightly.’
- ‘Use fat-free yogurt in place of sour cream to lower the fat content in cheesecakes.’
- ‘Originally, such cheesecakes were made with soft, home-made curd cheeses but these days we use light cream cheese from the supermarket.’
- ‘To serve, remove the cake from the tin, cut the passion fruits in half and squeeze the seeds and juice over the cheesecake.’
- ‘Dessert was Passionfruit cheesecake and Guava ice cream (I left some on the plate).’
- ‘Their wilting cheesecakes had been delivered to the table along with their drinks.’
- ‘Other desserts include French apple tarts, New York cheesecake, and praline imperial.’
- ‘We were delighted with the show and happily chose from various cheesecakes, meringues and chocolate cakes.’
- ‘From the dessert menu we picked pineapple and Malibu cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding with ice cream, which we could not fault.’
- ‘She also bakes cheesecakes and bread and rice puddings.’
- ‘I then left the cheesecakes in the fridge overnight to chill.’
- ‘I really enjoyed the internet-only audio guide that showcases the seven best cheesecakes in the city.’
- ‘We both went for cheesecakes of varying descriptions and were a little disheartened to discover ice-cream helpings were not available on the side.’
- ‘Not only was it lacking vanilla flavor, but it could only be marginally called a cheesecake.’
- ‘Quark can be used as a sour cream substitute to top baked potatoes, and as an ingredient in a variety of dishes including cheesecakes, dips, salads and sauces.’
- ‘The dessert cabinet, which contained an apple tart, cheesecake, strawberries and fruit salad, remained tantalisingly out of reach.’
- ‘It was enough to appreciate the rich, bitter-chocolate of the cheesecake and the yummy ice cream.’
- ‘So I sat there and read a book about the 50 greatest cheesecakes of all time.’
2informal mass noun Images portraying women in a manner which emphasizes idealized or stereotypical sexual attractiveness.as modifier ‘a cheesecake photo of herself wearing a silly hat and little else’
- ‘It was film noir one week, sentimental whimsy the next, sharp pathos the next, cheesecake the week after that.’
- ‘So if you post cheesecake photos of Objectivists are you objectifying them?’
- ‘And the clincher, from this cheesecake shot found by reader Brad: She plays football.’
- ‘The sham rationalization for this cheesecake scene didn't bother me.’
- ‘Is it just us, or does all this retro culture stuff seem infused with an element of cheesecake, a world where the pin-up was the height of visual elegance?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.