Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person newly arrived in the mining districts of Alaska or NW Canada.
- ‘But a few cheechakos went to investigate, and the word spread.’
- ‘Casey was explaining that a sourdough was someone who'd spent the winter in the North, and Rick and Willow were still cheechakos.’
- ‘Deep in this wilderness, cheechakos are far away from computers, television, and video games.’
- ‘One party of cheechakos who inquired about the best places to find gold were instructed by old timers to go to the top of a distant hill and sink shafts.’
- ‘Under the harsh exposure of winter, the population eroded each year as many cheechakos packed up and returned south.’
- ‘With tens of thousands of cheechakos on the trail to the goldfields, accidents along the waterways of the North were inevitable.’
- ‘A dramatic influx of eager cheechakos in the summer of 1898 created overnight, the largest city west of Winnipeg, Manitoba and north of Seattle, Washington.’
- ‘Here you walk the streets side by side with merchants, miners, Indians, Eskimos, pioneers and cheechakos.’
- ‘Just as inhabitants of different regions of the country have dialects and language unique to them, Alaskans have a lexicon of their own that can be baffling to cheechakos.’
- ‘For 25 years, sourdoughs, cheechakos, travelers, students and writers have trusted The Alaska Almanac to provide facts on many things Alaskan.’
- ‘While miners, sourdoughs and cheechakos stampeded the town, Frederick Arthur Kubon was born.’
- ‘‘Go easy on him, Rob,’ Wiley said, reaching forward to pat Dexter's broad shoulder ‘He's a cheechako.’’
Late 19th century: Chinook Jargon, newcomer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.