Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thorough examination, especially a medical or dental one, to detect any problems.‘a mother and her young daughter were taken to hospital for a check-up after a fire at their home’
examination, inspection, assessment, evaluation, analysis, survey, scan, scrutinization, scrutiny, observation, exploration, probe, test, appraisalcheck, health checkonce-over, going-over, overhaulView synonyms
- ‘She receives medication, has regular check-ups and attends weekly physiotherapy sessions.’
- ‘We also provide funding for scholarships and cover medical and dental check-ups and necessary operations.’
- ‘Free and regular medical check-ups should be conducted in backward areas which are highly prone to these epidemics.’
- ‘It is a good idea to take your child when you go for your own routine dental check-ups, even when they are too young to have teeth.’
- ‘For example, there might be more benefit for mothers who take their kids for regular medical check-ups.’
- ‘Dentists can also inspect for oral cancers during routine dental check-ups.’
- ‘He is still due to travel to the US for a medical check-up, later this year.’
- ‘All who intend taking part should first seek a medical check-up with their GP.’
- ‘Last year a national campaign for preventative medical check-ups was held in Bulgaria.’
- ‘The results of their follow-up medical check-ups in January and March are satisfactory.’
- ‘Make sure your clients get a medical check-up before starting any exercise program.’
- ‘Minutes later the victim was driven at speed to a police station to be debriefed and have a medical check-up.’
- ‘Only two weeks ago he had a medical check-up which gave him a clean bill of health.’
- ‘Most people find out they have high cholesterol when they have their blood cholesterol measured as part of a medical check-up.’
- ‘Your doctor may want to give your child a general medical check-up and get some blood tests.’
- ‘The American Dental Association recommends that you have regular dental check-ups.’
- ‘They undergo daily medical check-ups, facials and massages and do some mild exercise, such as stretching and walking around the lake.’
- ‘The programme includes medical check-ups and yearly bonuses as rewards.’
- ‘The parents will then be subject to check-ups by a specialised medical commission.’
- ‘If you are diagnosed as having an active infection, you will be advised to have regular blood tests and physical check-ups.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.