Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An act of chewing something, especially something not intended to be swallowed.‘enjoying a good chaw’
- ‘We could never resist the temptations of a good chaw without your help.’
- ‘It's not a regular habit, but I like a good chaw when I'm hiking or sitting around a campfire in the woods.’
- 1.1 Something chewed, especially a quid of tobacco.‘a chaw of tobacco’
quid, twist, plug, chewView synonyms
- ‘This topped sneaking a chaw of tobacco behind a school friend's garage, or hanging out with the glue-heads.’
- ‘He had two great mounds of curls sticking out of his hat on either side of his head, and the biggest chaw of tobacco in his cheek that I've ever seen.’
- ‘Her shoulder bumps his, and he swallows his chaw.’
- ‘Spittoons still grace the chamber, should any senator wish to gnaw on a bit of chaw, but senators are not permitted to use laptops on the floor.’
- ‘I worked to keep the wheel steady, watching as his lips contorted and then expelled a wet brown plug of used chaw.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]North American
Chew (something, especially tobacco)‘now just about anyone can don stetsons and chaw tobacco’no object ‘he passed the time chawing and spitting’
- ‘This means they shoot squirrels, chaw and spit, and say ‘dang’ a lot.’
- ‘Some men drink to forget their anger and hurt, others smoke or chaw when their nervous but I guess, with the exception of last night, Selby sucks a lemon instead.’
- ‘On an early visit, I paid $37.50 for the privilege of chawing my way through four reasonably tasty slices of porterhouse, which is several dollars more than you'll pay for a superior piece of beef down the street.’
Late Middle English (as a verb): variant of chew.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.