One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A telephone service which allows conversation among a number of separate callers.
- ‘He moved to Wiltshire a few months later after meeting the mother of the four-year-old girl through a telephone chatline.’
- ‘A company executive generated £1m a week for a saucy chatline - and was sacked because he wasn't a ‘team player’.’
- ‘When increased regulations made running the chatline more difficult in Britain, he simply chased business elsewhere.’
- ‘The court was told that last February, the Department for Work and Pensions started to investigate employees of a chatline operating in the Bury area.’
- ‘In 1989, the company banned telephone chatlines after discovering people were becoming addicted to them.’
- ‘Is it possible to have a Sikh chatline where you can talk about the religion, where you can put your ideas together and have more information on Sikhism.’
- ‘It wasn't long before she learned to use the chat lines, and began talking to people from all over the world.’
- ‘The entire 170 pages are simply a conversation between a man and a woman who have met on a phone chatline and are speaking to each other at $2 a minute.’
- ‘Bear in mind, though, that premium rate numbers are also used legitimately for chat lines and for voting on some popular reality television shows.’
- ‘Sometimes they come to school bleary-eyed after sitting up half the night on chat lines.’
- ‘But I think placing an ad in one of the local papers, or getting on one of the chat lines, could bring just as great a response and variety of individuals.’
- ‘Thankfully, when telephone chatlines first emerged, age was against me.’
- ‘Tom was a guy Victoria had met through a chat line one holiday break.’
- ‘He said that since he had lost his job he had become very depressed and had made a vast number of calls to chat lines.’
- ‘Kiernan, a ‘business wizard’ according to Hemphill, was running a phone chatline, and offered Hemphill some shifts to supplement his grant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.