One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Engage someone in flirtatious conversation.‘the waiter attempted to chat her up’
flirt with, make up to, make advances to, make overtures to, romanceView synonyms
- ‘He decided to sit near me and do his version of chatting me up.’
- ‘Two girls join your table and start chatting you up.’
- ‘My friend goes over to speak to her, and starts chatting her up.’
- ‘‘He wouldn't let her go out for meals because she might be chatted up by other people or she might chat them up,’ he explained.’
- ‘I'm sure that the pharmacist was chatting me up.’
- ‘He went over to the video clerk and started chatting her up.’
- ‘A young solicitor I'd talked to at the bus stop had asked me for a drink in a pub, but I'd not gone, and a handsome young sailor had chatted me up on a train, but I'd not agreed to meet him again either.’
- ‘Am I going to regret it or should I keep chatting her up?’
- ‘When she chatted me up, I thought she was taking the mickey.’
- ‘And they're not chatting you up because they think you're attractive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.