One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Engage someone in flirtatious conversation.‘the waiter attempted to chat her up’
flirt with, make up to, make advances to, make overtures to, romanceView synonyms
- ‘Am I going to regret it or should I keep chatting her up?’
- ‘He decided to sit near me and do his version of chatting me up.’
- ‘A young solicitor I'd talked to at the bus stop had asked me for a drink in a pub, but I'd not gone, and a handsome young sailor had chatted me up on a train, but I'd not agreed to meet him again either.’
- ‘‘He wouldn't let her go out for meals because she might be chatted up by other people or she might chat them up,’ he explained.’
- ‘And they're not chatting you up because they think you're attractive.’
- ‘He went over to the video clerk and started chatting her up.’
- ‘My friend goes over to speak to her, and starts chatting her up.’
- ‘Two girls join your table and start chatting you up.’
- ‘When she chatted me up, I thought she was taking the mickey.’
- ‘I'm sure that the pharmacist was chatting me up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.