One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area on the Internet or other computer network where users can communicate, typically one dedicated to a particular topic.
- ‘It is argued that it is almost impossible to retract a message posted to a chat room or discussion board.’
- ‘We turn to the Internet chat room for textual interventions in our sexual, political and aesthetic lives.’
- ‘It is just very motivational to hear from all of you, whether it is on email, in a chat room, or on the side of the race course.’
- ‘The survey shows that nearly half of the women surveyed have never been in a chat room on the Internet.’
- ‘They visited an internet chat room for Irish farmers who confirmed that it was best to stay away.’
- ‘I bet there's an internet chat room where they swap time-saving tips.’
- ‘An Internet chat room or news group would be set up with access restricted to forum members.’
- ‘I happened upon your web site while reading some remarks in a chat room.’
- ‘Sometimes in a chat room someone will offer to help you with a computer problem.’
- ‘If they are stupid enough to send money to someone in a chat room, they deserve what they got.’
- ‘Tony flicked on the TV too, but kept the sound on mute as he entered the chat room for the scheduled hack.’
- ‘The site also has message boards and a chat room, which often features special guests.’
- ‘Last week, in an internet chat room, someone asked what, if any, doubts others had about their forthcoming wedding.’
- ‘You should read through articles in a newsgroup and listen to the flow of a chat room before you jump in.’
- ‘The couple are more than familiar with the world-wide web, having met through an internet chat room.’
- ‘The class meets online once a week in a chat room during the fall semester.’
- ‘If you are registered in the online community, you're registered for the chat room.’
- ‘That night he logged on to a chat room of virtual friends.’
- ‘Who would have thought Andrew and Eliese were getting married as a result of meeting one fateful day in a chat room?’
- ‘Always stay in the public areas of the chat room, where there are other people around.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.