Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The base frame of a car, carriage, or other wheeled vehicle.
framework, frame, skeleton, shell, casing, structure, substructure, bodywork, bodyfuselage, hull, keelanatomy, carcassView synonyms
- ‘Indeed, the chassis and the wheel axle were specially designed to withstand such speed.’
- ‘I think the combination of having an old motor in an old chassis just wasn't competitive.’
- ‘There was no dirt on the brakes or wheels or chassis, anything like that.’
- ‘This will allow another 12 vehicles to be completed from the unfinished chassis.’
- ‘It is suspended on leather straps attached to a steel-sprung chassis with bright chrome wheels.’
- ‘Another 300 workers are based in Guildford, Surrey, where it makes the chassis.’
- ‘Mayflower has a long-term plan to build a plant that could manufacture vehicle bodies and chassis on a single site.’
- ‘It really is just a chassis, an engine, four wheels and a surprisingly comfortable plastic seat.’
- ‘It's a hot hatch with a superb chassis, but let's keep some sense of proportion here.’
- ‘Wealthy clients will be able to order a car to suit their needs, based on the chassis and mechanicals of an existing model.’
- ‘As you can see from the photos, the rivets form an integral part of the chassis, so rivet failure will require frame replacement.’
- ‘The exhibit showed the chassis with the front fork and rear wheel assembly.’
- ‘He made full use of the excellent equipment at his disposal: chassis, engine and tyres.’
- ‘The chassis, engine, transmission and suspension must be efficient interactively and also suit the drivers.’
- ‘This is a car based on a Tuscan chassis with a few changes under the bonnet and a different body.’
- ‘Tubes should be positioned on the chassis of the vehicle so as they are not visible.’
- ‘Apart from the chassis, engine and some of the mechanical components everything is different.’
- ‘This procedure can also be done in hardtop vehicles to enhance chassis stiffness.’
- ‘The same cannot be said for the chassis and bodywork, which are prone to corrosion and have often been repaired badly.’
- ‘It's a gadget with wheels, which gets under the chassis of cars and lifts them up.’
- ‘The end result, as you see it, is an engine, chassis, seat and steering wheel.’
- 1.1The outer structural framework of a piece of audio, radio, or computer equipment.
- ‘If there is a fault in the computer power supply, or if the electric socket is wired incorrectly, the computer chassis can become live and give a fatal electric shock.’
- ‘The chassis is constructed primarily of aluminum, but the outer shell is all plastic.’
- ‘Before you order anything you have to check your chassis number on this central computer to find out what one you need.’
- ‘They earth themselves to the computer chassis using a conductive wrist strap.’
- ‘The drive will even be available in different colors to match a user's computer chassis.’
- ‘They have also shaped the chassis in front of the cursor keys to make it easy to slide your fingers into place.’
- ‘Too many people are content with what they buy, all housed in a gray computer chassis.’
- ‘An internal component within the interior of a computer chassis is accessible via a chassis door that may be moved into the chassis interior.’
- ‘It is structured on a carbon fibre chassis as opposed to the aluminium constructed model.’
- ‘The computer comes in chassis made of magnesium aluminum alloy and seems to be a very stylish one.’
- ‘A method and apparatus is described for mounting a component in a computer chassis.’
Early 20th century: from French châssis frame, based on Latin capsa box (see case).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.