One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An original or founding member of a society or organization.
- ‘His father, Matt Halberg, became a charter member of the American Communist Party in 1919, and recruited his 17-year-old son into the party eight years later.’
- ‘After being occupied by Germany in both World Wars, however, Luxembourg abandoned neutrality and became a charter member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in 1949.’
- ‘He is a charter member of the Oswegoland Heritage Association, a member of its board of directors, and the director of the Little White School Museum.’
- ‘To underscore its commitment to this new commodities market, the company became a charter member of the Chicago Climate Exchange, a pilot program for greenhouse gas emission reduction and trading.’
- ‘Tom O'Brien was a charter member when the organization was formed at Forty Mile on December 1, 1894.’
- ‘The brothers are following in dad's footsteps: Fred Koch was a charter member of the ultraconservative John Birch Society in 1958.’
- ‘And we are not ashamed to say that Goldstein was a charter member of the Jewish Defense League.’
- ‘Washington's friend Samuel Powel was mayor of Philadelphia and, with John Beale Bordley and others, a charter member of the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture.’
- ‘He is a charter member of the Society of Logistics Engineers.’
- ‘Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community.’
- ‘Friedman was a charter member of the most influential society you have never heard of - the Mont Pelerin Society, named after the Swiss community where this association of laissez-faire thinkers first gathered in 1947.’
- ‘On his return to France, the Marquis de Lafayette became a charter member of a society called The Friends of the Blacks.’
- ‘Mr Braithwaite, 65, is a charter member of Clitheroe Lions, having been involved since their formation in 1982 and has served as president, vice-president, secretary and keeper of the book - the record of the president's year in office.’
- ‘Barber has served as a trustee of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and as a charter member of the American Society of Marine Artists.’
- ‘A keen curler, she was a charter member and past president of Charlottetown Curling Club, Ladies Division, past president of Capitol Winter Club Business Girls Curling Club, and an active member of the Stanhope Golf Club.’
- ‘In 1950, she became a charter member of the first American Civil Liberties Union chapter organized in the South.’
- ‘Iceland became a charter member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in 1949.’
- ‘Anyone who notifies the Foundation with appropriate documentation within the next year will become a charter member of this society.’
- ‘His career in government was that of a charter member of the internationalist consensus.’
- ‘He is a former president of the American Copy Editors Society, of which he is a charter member, and he has taught copy editing at Loyola College of Maryland since 1995.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.