Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A soft, smooth silky dress fabric.
- ‘For a luxurious look, choose a satin or charmeuse lining and underline it with flannel.’
- ‘This turquoise shirred charmeuse dress features twisted straps, padded bra cups, side-zip closure and a crisscross back.’
- ‘With its drape, charmeuse works well for blouses, scarves and lingerie.’
- ‘Presenter and last year's Best Actress winner Nicole Kidman combined sleek and womanly with her silver charmeuse gown finished in feathers.’
- ‘Other favourites in the outerwear department include her floral wrap coat, her lovely textured wool coat and her black graphic floral wrap coat (worn over a blonde charmeuse camisole and jade wool lace skirt).’
- ‘He mixed casual style with elegant material - parachute pants of silk crepe satin or a blazer of ivory silk charmeuse - to create looks that work for both day and night.’
- ‘I am constructing a silk charmeuse evening dress of two layers that I would like to dye green and blue.’
- ‘Glitter accents add a touch of sparkle to this merlot strapless charmeuse dress.’
- ‘It was made of charmeuse satin with a V-neck, and the right side of the top curved around in a pleated fold to stop just under Lauren's left breast, seemingly held tight by two dime-sized rhinestone buttons.’
- ‘It's too easy to mess up your charmeuse shirtfront eating beets and goat-cheese crostini, but the grilled lobster tail is terrific, tender with a faint perfume of garlic.’
- ‘The white dupioni and charmeuse lining felt like water under my hands - too fine and too luxurious to entrust into my hands.’
- ‘The chocolate becomes the gourmet's equivalent of charmeuse.’
Early 20th century: from French, feminine of charmeur ‘charmer’, from charmer ‘to charm’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.