Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A commercial city and transportation centre in southern North Carolina; population 687,456 (est. 2008).
A pudding made of stewed fruit with a casing or covering of bread, sponge cake, biscuits, or breadcrumbs.
- ‘Afterward, chocolate-mousse cake and vanilla charlotte seem somewhat redundant.’
- ‘I pretty much wanted everything on the catalog - I mean who could resist getting mini-molds for charlottes and brioches, and a really efficient zester, and beautiful knives, and new skillets, and a special zigzag knife to cut melons?’
- ‘Ironically, given the backdrop of the American Revolution, the charlotte is a dessert with roots in England.’
- ‘Tropical fruit with lime yogurt is a diet dud, and white-chocolate charlotte is precious, but you have to try the house ice-cream soda made with chocolate, fudge, soda, and a shot of whisky.’
- ‘This makes the delicate Biscuit Rose de Reims the ideal dipping companion of a cup of Champagne, and the perfect biscuit to use in a charlotte, in place of the classic ladyfingers.’
- ‘On this day I overlooked the warm apple pie (which, having tasted before, I can safely pronounce a delicious desert) and instead went for home-made strawberry charlotte.’
- ‘Or go more adventurous with sweets such as duet of chocolate fruit terrine, cappuccino brulées, lichee gateaux, coffee charlotte and compote of figs in chocolate shells.’
- ‘Impressive and particularly delicious, it was gulped down between the four of us - you know, a charlotte just doesn't keep that well.’
- ‘Place a scoop of the marzipan ice-cream next to the charlotte and drizzle some sauce around the dish.’
French, from the female given name Charlotte.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.