One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A school which is supported by charitable contributions.
- ‘The girls retire to the garden, where Jane finally sees the sign that says she is at Lowood Institution, a charity school for orphans.’
- ‘About 60 children are educated in a charity school, and about 200 in private schools.’
- ‘The boy says he went to a Church charity school before the war and that he can mediate for us.’
- ‘Before the 1800s, there were grammar schools, frequently of pre-Reformation origin, independent or ‘adventure’ schools, and charity schools.’
- ‘But it was my pupils at the charity school who won my heart with their endless warmth and affection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.