Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Grill (food, typically meat or fish) quickly at a very high heat.‘chargrilled breast of chicken’
- ‘The lamb, however, is pink and tender and deliciously chargrilled and meaty.’
- ‘We could have chosen from chicken liver, foie gras parfait or chargrilled asparagus or lime marinated red mullet.’
- ‘If I'm working from home, lunch will usually be chargrilled meat (often organic lamb) on a bed of salad dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.’
- ‘Madame Noire had the chargrilled sirloin steak, which came with fried onions and a spicy peppercorn sauce.’
- ‘You can also use regular chicken breasts, chargrilled until just tender.’
- ‘Heat a griddle pan until hot and chargrill the potatoes for four to five minutes or until golden brown.’
- ‘The chicken, free-range and chargrilled, came on long skewers on top of a heap of salad leaves laced with Parmesan and parma ham.’
- ‘Lili opted for the king prawns as her main course, while I chose the prime Scottish fillet of salmon, chargrilled with lemon juice, at £14.95.’
- ‘My companion ordered the Cajun chicken dish - chicken breasts chargrilled with a blend of Cajun spices and served with a fresh fruit salsa cruda.’
- ‘The prawn version consisted of butterflied prawns, chargrilled, with no trace whatsoever of the marinade.’
- ‘Other main courses included stuffed aubergine with feta cheese, tomato and chick pea salsa or chargrilled fillet of beef with Roquefort butter, salad, tomato and fries.’
- ‘Mr Kuster said the chargrill method of cooking was completely different to the older style grills and that staff had been hard at work on training courses to perfect their techniques.’
- ‘For mains, we have chargrilled tenderloin and Chilean sea bass.’
- ‘To obtain its unique flavour, chargrill aubergine over a naked flame, turning frequently for approximately 30 minutes.’
- ‘If you have the time, you may also like to chargrill some of them, such as the asparagus tips.’
- ‘Main courses included 8oz fillet steak, chargrilled leg of lamb, chicken, cod and salmon ranging from the €10 to €17 mark.’
- ‘The chargrilled fillet steak with creamed potatoes and roasted field mushrooms was ordered medium rare and arrived medium.’
- ‘Vegetarian main courses are especially enticing, with creative combinations such as chargrilled aubergine, pepper, buffalo mozzarella and pesto.’
- ‘And there's only so many times you can eat raw carrots and celery: chargrilled vegetables make a good variation.’
- ‘Usually people prefer the rustic taste of chargrilled food.’
Late 20th century: on the pattern of charbroil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.