Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]North american
Grill (food, especially meat) on a rack over charcoal.‘charbroiled steak’
- ‘For example, corn and charbroiled beef, popular among Hispanic cultures, interfere with how a drug affects the body.’
- ‘We received our food in good time, but my steak was charbroiled, which it shouldn't be for being medium.’
- ‘I keep reading that charbroiled meat is bad for you.’
- ‘The adults' menu may feature grilled shrimp, charbroiled chicken, sautéed vegetables, and salads galore.’
- ‘Have you tried our half pound pub burger or charbroiled marinated chicken sandwich?’
- ‘In this case, it's got not one, but two charbroiled patties, topped with no less than four strips of crispy bacon, three slices of American cheese, and some mayonnaise - all on a buttered, toasted, sesame seed bun.’
- ‘The intake of charbroiled meat, roasted fish, and shellfish did not correlate statistically.’
- ‘Their food comes in two varieties - charbroiled and fried!’
- ‘Chef Michael Cortez whipped up a major dinner of beef fajitas with guacamole, chicken and cheese quesadillas, Spanish rice and charbroiled shrimp.’
- ‘This local favorite specializes in charbroiled fresh fish.’
- ‘The steam table featured various choices, but I decided to go with the Joojeh Kebab - charbroiled chicken, served with potato and rice or half rice and half salad, which I went with.’
- ‘The familiar blue A-frame roof remains, but there are also touches more conducive to evening dining, including softer lighting and new menu items such as portobello pot roast and charbroiled Atlantic salmon.’
- ‘Naturally the couscous came with Beef Kebab (skewers of chunks of charbroiled Australian beef fillet marinated in Moroccan spices) accompanied by Harissa, a hot sauce made from red peppers and Tunisian spices.’
- ‘More than just a piece of charbroiled protein, beef is also a major source of iron and zinc, two crucial muscle-building nutrients.’
1950s: blend of charcoal and broil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.