Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A graph showing the relationship between two variable but interdependent quantities.
- ‘Diagnostic accuracy in this context has sometimes been defined with receiver operating characteristic curves and quantified by the area under the curve.’
- ‘Receiver operator characteristic curves are in common use in laboratories.’
- ‘Data were pooled to produce summary receiver operating characteristic curves and summary likelihood ratios for positive and negative test results.’
- ‘Sensitivity and specificity for the predictors were calculated, and receiver operator characteristic curves constructed.’
- ‘If you plot a characteristic curve of the step wedges you will find quite simply that long wavelength light gives a greater gamma than light of short wavelength.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.