Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brief written description of a person's qualities.
- ‘This brief character sketch features a woman whose easy and caring demeanor remedies modern life.’
- ‘Pam also wrote poetry and perceptive character sketches.’
- ‘His lively recollections are concise and amusing, sprinkled with character sketches and enlivened by snatches of dialect.’
- ‘Many authors work this way, creating detailed notes, character sketches and plot outlines before filling in the blanks with prose.’
- ‘The public showed an increasing appetite for light essays, character sketches, vignettes and urban panoramas, which were to be found on the back pages, or feuilletons, of daily journals and magazines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.