Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brief written description of a person's qualities.
- ‘His lively recollections are concise and amusing, sprinkled with character sketches and enlivened by snatches of dialect.’
- ‘This brief character sketch features a woman whose easy and caring demeanor remedies modern life.’
- ‘Many authors work this way, creating detailed notes, character sketches and plot outlines before filling in the blanks with prose.’
- ‘Pam also wrote poetry and perceptive character sketches.’
- ‘The public showed an increasing appetite for light essays, character sketches, vignettes and urban panoramas, which were to be found on the back pages, or feuilletons, of daily journals and magazines.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.