One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An actor who specializes in playing eccentric or unusual people rather than leading roles.
- ‘His father, the well-known character actor John Carradine, has a minor role as the owner of the train company.’
- ‘But I've always been a character actor, so that doesn't hugely affect me.’
- ‘I've always thought of myself as a character actor.’
- ‘I've later found out that I'd much rather be a character actor, and that's what I pride myself on.’
- ‘He's the oddball who again proves his mettle as both a character actor and leading man.’
- ‘The crowds included familiar faces from the era, including a character actor playing Winston Churchill.’
- ‘As a Hollywood character actor he made his name in gangster movies, surrounded by brooding middle-aged hoodlums who cracked their knuckles and lurked sullenly at his shoulder.’
- ‘What's the best and worst part of being a character actor?’
- ‘Brian Cox is a great character actor and does another superb job with his role.’
- ‘He's shown promise as a character actor in the past and he's also proven himself as a strong slapstick performer, but he fails to blend the two in this film.’
- ‘He should have had a long and rich career as a character actor.’
- ‘The popular character actor said he was really overwhelmed to have won, having been nominated ‘in a category with some great, great, great actors’.’
- ‘As an accomplished character actor, it was his total commitment to the spirit of each part that delighted critics.’
- ‘Not only does he have star quality, he also has the capacity to be a great character actor.’
- ‘He is a wonderful combination of leading man and character actor, and I think he has that ability to transform himself in a way that most actors are not capable of doing.’
- ‘I think we have a case of a good character actor in a place where a larger-than-life leading man is needed.’
- ‘He looked like a character actor from a tense psychological thriller set in Michigan or Kansas.’
- ‘What was it like growing up as the son of a legendary character actor?’
- ‘I don't mind that the movies I've been doing have been small roles, because I'm interested in a career as a character actor.’
- ‘On his graduation in 1950 he worked as a character actor in repertory theatre, film and television.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.