One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The footwear, chappals or slippers, are worn a size or two big - the bigger the better - and they serve all occasions.’
- ‘Another man has to stop when one of his chappals come off.’
- ‘Specially made sandals and chappals are also available.’
- ‘The advocates urged the authorities to have a strong action against the culprit who threw chappals towards the judge at a Davangere court.’
- ‘Stick in hand, leathery skin and leather chappals worn to shreds, his dispossession was clear from his finely twirled white moustache and neat beard.’
From Hindi cappal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.