One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Stick in hand, leathery skin and leather chappals worn to shreds, his dispossession was clear from his finely twirled white moustache and neat beard.’
- ‘The footwear, chappals or slippers, are worn a size or two big - the bigger the better - and they serve all occasions.’
- ‘Another man has to stop when one of his chappals come off.’
- ‘Specially made sandals and chappals are also available.’
- ‘The advocates urged the authorities to have a strong action against the culprit who threw chappals towards the judge at a Davangere court.’
From Hindi cappal.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.