One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A delicate kind of bobbin lace.
openwork, lacework, tatting, netting, net, tulle, meshwork, mesh, webbingView synonyms
- ‘Mills's dress, which Stella is said to have described as ‘tarty’, is made from 10 metres of Chantilly lace.’
- ‘The bride wore a gown of satin and Chantilly lace.’
- ‘For the more daring there were tight semi-transparent Chantilly lace shirts which left little to the imagination.’
- ‘It's reported that she wore a tiara and not a traditional veil, and that her train was antique Chantilly lace, not that inferior modern kind.’
- ‘The stand-out pieces here were her beautifully tailored tweed jackets, which were often paired with dressy tulle, Chantilly lace and organza skirts.’
Mid 19th century: named after Chantilly (see Chantilly cream).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.