One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The extortion of money by blackmail.
extortion, demanding money with menaces, exaction, intimidationView synonyms
- ‘I knew they had an infamous habit of chantage.’
- ‘Magistrates are aware of receivers who are rich, and of men who live in luxury by chantage.’
- ‘That was a bit of chantage that you did with Dauriat; he gave you a thousand crowns to let Nathan alone.’
- ‘In the 18th century, when journalism was in its swaddling-clothes, chantage was practised by means of pamphlets.’
- ‘Was it that he wanted to do a little chantage?’
Late 19th century: French.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.