One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A French song.
song, anthem, carol, ballad, canzone, motet, chantView synonyms
- ‘The music performed will vary, including classical pieces, French chansons, old Italian songs, jazz and pop music.’
- ‘A second distinction is that between chansons with newly composed melodies and parodies, or retextings, of melodies originally written for other lyrics.’
- ‘All sorts of music will be well represented at the festival, including concerts of Irish folk music, jazz, Parisian chansons and brass bands.’
- ‘Few musical genres sport the elegance of the French chanson.’
- ‘Fluent in French (she also sings in German and Italian), she handles chansons such as ‘Prends Mon Coeur’ and ‘La Nuit Nen Finit Plus’ with flair and elegance, passionate yet polished.’
French, from Latin cantio(n-) ‘singing’, from canere ‘sing’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.