One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Engage a lower gear in a vehicle or on a bicycle.‘it is important to change down in plenty of time to avoid having to brake sharply’
- ‘As well as having a fully automatic setting, it also has seven pre-set gear positions, accessible by moving the lever back to change up and forwards to change down.’
- ‘Under heavy braking, the gearbox changes down flawlessly, giving increased retardation.’
- ‘This can become tiresome in cities, when what could be accomplished in second gear in most vehicles requires a change down to first in the Voyager.’
- ‘It is necessary to change down to third gear to pick up speed, especially when overtaking.’
- ‘I am not saying you should never brake because invariably you have to, but when someone in front brakes, assess the situation and lift off the accelerator a bit or change down to slow down.’
- ‘Gently increase acceleration and be prepared to change down through the gears to preserve momentum.’
- ‘The driver uses the right-hand paddle to change up while the left one changes down.’
- ‘It changes down beautifully, but upshifts are either slow or jerky or full of clutch-slip.’
- ‘I went in to the hairpin and changed down from fifth to fourth like I always had, and then it went into neutral and the engine stopped.’
- ‘As you approach a junction in a car with a manual gearbox, you change down through the gears, which means that the engine creates drag and slows the car down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.