One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The shop or business of a chandler.
- ‘He took over the chandlery in 1866 on Strong's retirement.’
- ‘The days fly by with prolific shopping trips to outdoor equipment specialists, chemists, chandleries, map shops and book stores.’
- ‘Shock and disbelief accompanied the news that An Bord Pleanala has granted permission for the development of a 50 berth marine, clubhouse, chandlery, storage, parking and associated site works at Keelbeg Pier, Ballincolla, Union Hall.’
- ‘But he had his own ship's chandlery in New Bedford, so he understood business.’
- ‘And at Durn, further east along the canal, there could be a boatyard, long and short-term moorings, a chandlery, workshops and town houses and apartments.’
- ‘It looks well maintained and now has wonderful restaurants, cafés, and a big duty-free chandlery.’
- ‘Numerous suppliers like Budget Marine and Marine Warehouse, plus smaller chandleries, make a boater's life ashore slightly easier.’
- ‘For a 100 berth marina with a dry dock and workshop in full use and a chandlery and boat sales operation, the marina should employ 10 people.’
- ‘It was the shirt his marina crew had presented him with on the day the chandlery had opened, printed with a large ace of hearts playing card, across which was emblazoned, ‘Ace of Parts'.’
- ‘Norman, who is chandlery manager said that ‘it feels like an ironic kick in the teeth’ particularly as a workable management plan should have been formulated 15 years ago.’
- ‘He said the upgrading of facilities at the Marina provided participants with ‘a fabulous on site chandlery that was frequented throughout the ARC.’’
- ‘Bill and Betty were totally dedicated to the Royal Varuna, occupying for some two decades the apartment on the north side under which Bill ran his famous chandlery.’
- ‘Ultimately, he wants to find bigger premises and set up a chandlery, a facility lacking on the reopened Rochdale Canal.’
- ‘Part of Pearl Harbor's duty of being the Pacific Fleet's chandlery was the stocking and disbursing of oil.’
- ‘The businesses related to these sectors like taxi drivers, grocery stores, day charters and chandleries will suffer as well.’
- ‘While the marina is within a 5-minute walk to the French side capitol of Marigot, the complex will also include marine services like chandleries and provisioning.’
- ‘The restoration of the old pier will allow for the mooring of craft up to 130 feet long, while a new marina village will include shops, a chandlery, bar and restaurant.’
- 1.1mass noun Goods sold by a chandler.
- ‘Two doorways opened out the back of the room, leading to their chandlery shop and an outhouse.’
- ‘The upstairs was used for the Boatmans Locker, a boating accessories and chandlery shop run by Joe and Mary Barker.’
- ‘He extended his business to include ship's chandlery, brokerage and the sale and export of coal.’
- ‘They supplied crab pots and general chandlery.’
- ‘He now runs a successful net and chandlery business with the assistance of his wife Rita as secretary.’
- ‘Frankie Byrne is the local of supplier of nets and chandlery in the area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.