Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A man who lives a life of luxury and excess.[as modifier] ‘Souness has put the Champagne Charlie lifestyle behind him’
- ‘I felt a bit of a Champagne Charlie when I discovered it was a Pommery from 1952-the year of the century - and could now fetch up to £1,000 a bottle.’
- ‘Let me introduce you to an old friend and fantastic handicapper, Champagne Charlie.’
- ‘In the latter half of the 19th century, Champagne Charlie falls passionately in love with gun-running southern Belle Pauline and is pushed into the dangerous world of espionage as he battles to fulfill his destiny.’
- ‘It was not an easy task as Champagne Charlie met with considerable resistance.’
- ‘They're best known for their unmistakable accents and no nonsense attitude but now they have another accolade - they're Britain's new Champagne Charlies.’
- ‘But for brief splashes of colour when he'd play two or three shots in quick succession, this was a dour, grey innings, and exactly what was required after the Champagne Charlies had hurriedly exited the party.’
- ‘For we're all Champagne Charlies these days and we just can't get enough of the bubbly stuff.’
- ‘From Division Three deadbeats to Champagne Charlies of the First Division in the space of five years - now that was something to celebrate.’
- ‘I don't go in for ravishing my hostages, not even a Titian-haired deb who has probably teased the wits out of the Champagne Charlies at the hunt balls.’
- ‘He is a freelance writer and a member of the organising committee for the Henry Jackson Society, as well as co-founder of the Champagne Charlies discussion group.’
From the name of a popular song, first performed in 1868.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.