Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Instrumental music played by a small ensemble, with one player to a part, the most important form being the string quartet.
- ‘The beautiful sense of orchestral chamber music the trio brought to the Largo was memorable.’
- ‘In chamber music, if the violist is sub-standard, you pack up and go home.’
- ‘He began to write more abstractly and concentrated on chamber music and works for small ensembles.’
- ‘From there, I went into composing film music and also chamber music, something that I do to this day.’
- ‘His compositions comprise mainly chamber music, including string quartets and accompanied keyboard sonatas.’
- ‘Mostly chamber music gets recorded, because orchestral music costs more to record.’
- ‘This is a wonderful original instruments recording of some of Bach's finest chamber music.’
- ‘I think the tradition has always been that orchestral music is more public and chamber music is more intimate.’
- ‘I had initially considered violin for its options of orchestral or chamber music.’
- ‘Compared to his orchestral works, his chamber music has been neglected by record companies.’
- ‘Even in chamber music, Beethoven always found a voice for the monumental statement.’
- ‘The piano music, including the chamber music involving piano, comes from all periods.’
- ‘In the world of classical music, string quartets fall into a category known as chamber music.’
- ‘There are also educational pieces, numerous compositions of chamber music and two concertos.’
- ‘Music Network's chamber music triple bill also features some of Europe's hottest classical stars.’
- ‘Did this incite you to perform chamber music with musical colleagues?’
- ‘Think about how often Mahler himself resorts to chamber music textures in his symphonies: the sounds seem utterly natural most of the time.’
- ‘This program is open to all instruments, vocalists and chamber music ensembles.’
- ‘During his career Chakaryan has toured the world with the best Bulgarian symphony orchestras and chamber music ensembles.’
- ‘They play like two musicians doing chamber music, creating something together.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.