Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Instrumental music played by a small ensemble, with one player to a part, the most important form being the string quartet.
- ‘In chamber music, if the violist is sub-standard, you pack up and go home.’
- ‘This is a wonderful original instruments recording of some of Bach's finest chamber music.’
- ‘Did this incite you to perform chamber music with musical colleagues?’
- ‘The beautiful sense of orchestral chamber music the trio brought to the Largo was memorable.’
- ‘Think about how often Mahler himself resorts to chamber music textures in his symphonies: the sounds seem utterly natural most of the time.’
- ‘This program is open to all instruments, vocalists and chamber music ensembles.’
- ‘I think the tradition has always been that orchestral music is more public and chamber music is more intimate.’
- ‘During his career Chakaryan has toured the world with the best Bulgarian symphony orchestras and chamber music ensembles.’
- ‘I had initially considered violin for its options of orchestral or chamber music.’
- ‘In the world of classical music, string quartets fall into a category known as chamber music.’
- ‘Even in chamber music, Beethoven always found a voice for the monumental statement.’
- ‘From there, I went into composing film music and also chamber music, something that I do to this day.’
- ‘Music Network's chamber music triple bill also features some of Europe's hottest classical stars.’
- ‘The piano music, including the chamber music involving piano, comes from all periods.’
- ‘They play like two musicians doing chamber music, creating something together.’
- ‘He began to write more abstractly and concentrated on chamber music and works for small ensembles.’
- ‘There are also educational pieces, numerous compositions of chamber music and two concertos.’
- ‘Compared to his orchestral works, his chamber music has been neglected by record companies.’
- ‘His compositions comprise mainly chamber music, including string quartets and accompanied keyboard sonatas.’
- ‘Mostly chamber music gets recorded, because orchestral music costs more to record.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.