One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A schoolteacher.‘I get three holidays a year, being a chalkie and all’
- ‘Australia sent scores of highly educated national servicemen - most of them chalkies - to Papua and New Guinea.’
- ‘But even those destined to become chalkies had to complete a further 10 weeks' training as infantrymen.’
- ‘The Australian Government is giving so much money to education at present that they can happily get stuck into the chalkies because everyone has had education as an issue.’
- ‘Full-scale implementation of the Curriculum for Excellence is nigh and condemned chalkies know there is to be no education governor's reprieve.’
- ‘I have a soft spot for the teaching profession, even the chuntering chalkies of Victoria.’
- ‘The chalkies' job wasn't all teaching.’
- ‘The chalkies' experiences changed their lives in ways that would have been impossible to predict.’
- ‘The chalkies were demanding almost unlimited funds for education.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.