Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A European blue butterfly of calcareous grassland, of which the male is silvery-blue with blackish markings and the female is brown.
- ‘The site is also home to many species of butterfly such as the silver-spotted skipper and chalkhill blue.’
- ‘The list of butterflies found here is impressive with Duke of Burgundy and dingy skipper in spring, together with small, common and chalkhill blues.’
- ‘Vetches, trefoils and other legumes will encourage common and chalkhill blues, plantains will attract some of the fritillaries, and many of the taller growing grasses will bring in some of the browns, for instance.’
- ‘Along with these plants come butterflies such as the common and chalkhill blues, blue and green hairstreak, marbled whites, and the nationally scarce Adonis blue.’
- ‘Butterflies include species such as the small and chalkhill blues, brown argus and the marbled white.’
- ‘In summer several species of butterfly can be seen including the brown argus and the largest colony of chalkhill blues in Hertfordshire.’
- ‘There is also a good variety of butterflies including chalkhill blue, silver-spotted skipper and marbled white.’
- ‘Cockey Down is best visited in spring and summer, when insects such as the hornet robber-fly, and butterflies such as chalkhill blue, marbled white and dark green fritillary find a home among the stunning tapestry of wildflowers.’
- ‘Chalk downland has several butterflies found nowhere else, and the chalkhill blue is one of these.’
- ‘Butterflies include Adonis and chalkhill blues, grizzled, silver-spotted and Lulworth skippers and marbled whites.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.