One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow crystalline mineral consisting of a sulphide of copper and iron. It is the principal ore of copper.Also called copper pyrites
- ‘Tiny crystals of hematite, goethite, chalcopyrite, marcasite, and dolomite are common and make excellent micromounts.’
- ‘The main ore minerals are galena, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, and tetrahedrite that are associated with quartz and barite gangue.’
- ‘Gold occurs in quartz veins with chalcopyrite, galena, pyrite, and sphalerite.’
- ‘Vein minerals are barite, calcite, chalcopyrite, galena, pyrite, and sphalerite.’
- ‘Barite, sphalerite, and calcite are the most abundant vein minerals; pyrite, kaolinite, chalcopyrite, galena, and wurtzite are less common.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin chalcopyrites, from Greek khalkos ‘copper’ + puritēs (see pyrites).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.