Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mechanical power-driven cutting tool with teeth set on a chain which moves around the edge of a blade.
- ‘Among the huge haul of tools taken from Mr Walker's farm were two chainsaws, jacks, grinders and spanners.’
- ‘Industry turned from the manufacture of tanks and other war materiel to the manufacture of log skidders, Caterpillar tractors, and chainsaws.’
- ‘According to the Killarney councillor, a practice has emerged in recent years of using handsaws axes and even chainsaws to cut holly branches.’
- ‘He used chainsaws and hand chisels during the work.’
- ‘I use chainsaws and sanders - working with those for hours can really do you in.’
- ‘The rest bring their own pruning saws, chainsaws, rakes, trimmers, blowers and whatever else is needed and do the work that is set out in the yearly planner.’
- ‘He uses green timber, and works as a sculptor, with chainsaws and blow torches, celebrating the grain of the wood.’
- ‘Red Cross centres are also running low on supplies, with shortages of water tanks, pumps, hoses, chainsaws and hand tools.’
- ‘I should state that I work with chainsaws, axes, and many sharp tools.’
- ‘Some got out of the van armed with spray-paint cans while others came out carrying metal bats, chainsaws, hatchets and sledgehammers.’
- ‘That is the case with dangerous tools, such as lawn mowers, chainsaws, and automobiles.’
- ‘Here the construction never ceases: chainsaws, lawn mowers, and leaf blowers are in perpetual motion, as if there were no days, and never Sundays.’
- ‘The loggers come to the forest with mechanical chainsaws, cut the trees down indiscriminately and load them onto trucks before leaving the forest as if nothing had happened.’
- ‘Ice-divers in Canada use chainsaws, but a chainsaw would not be much use on a wreck.’
- ‘She was currently what can only be described as hacking the beast up, using the delicate surgery use tools like hatchets and chainsaws.’
- ‘Please take extreme care outdoors at the moment, and ensure that any equipment you use such as tractors, mowers, brush cutters and chainsaws are safe from spark ignition.’
- ‘Behind this thin veil of trees, chainsaws, mechanical diggers and gold-rush fever have taken their toll.’
- ‘They took lawn mowers, strimmers, chainsaws, as well as drills and tools totalling about £3,000.’
- ‘Labor's newest recruit has given support to a proposed pulp mill, but wants chainsaws kept away from the state's oldest timber.’
- ‘When the design is finalised, Paul moves in with his chainsaw.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.